Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Life Lessons

The last few days at the Houk house have been tough. Noah developed a fever Friday night and was pretty miserable for three days. We were giving him tylenol to keep him comfortable and trying to make sure he didn't get dehydrated. He didn't want to eat and was having diarrhea. We were continually trying to decide if we should pack him up and drive him down the mountain to see a doctor. Unfortunately, there wasn't much a doctor around here was going to be able to do for him. So we just kept waiting and praying. We finally took him to see a local doctor and started him on antibiotics for an ear infection. They don't have the equipment to check inside his ears, but as soon as we started the antibiotics he started to feel better. The day after we started the medicine and he was feeling so much better, I went out during his nap to go grocery shopping so we would be stocked up while Jared is out of town with the car. I was overwhelmed with how good it felt to have a healthy (or at least recovering) baby, a sweet toddler and a loving husband at home! While I don't wish to go through sickness again with this wee little one, I recognized that I would not have experienced that feeling of extreme gratitude unless I had known the trials and difficulty of caring for Noah when he was sick. Our joys in life are made so much greater through the trials and difficulties.

In the last 7 years, I have certainly learned firsthand that being a wife is difficult! I fall short so often and the refining process is painful and difficult. In the last 3 years, I have certainly learned firsthand that being a mother is probably the most difficult role I will ever have in life. It requires patience that I never have on my own and wisdom that even King Solomon himself didn't possess I'm certain! And yet, it is because of those difficulties that my life is more sweet than I have ever known. I am blessed!


No comments: